In January of 2022, The Infinite Dial study was conducted with over 1,500 U.S. respondents over the age of 12. This survey revealed that online audio consumption shows significant gains year-over-year. While tradition radio listening in the home continues to decrease, in-car radio consumption remains a popular choice. Here are some other key points this survey revealed:
- 57% of Americans 12-34 do not have a radio in their home. A sharp contrast from 14 years ago when only 4% of the U.S. population did not have a radio.
- Yet, 73% of those in the U.S. 18+ who have been in a car in the last month use AM/FM radio as an audio source, far outpacing the next closest audio source, owned digital music (used by 53%).
- 35% of those 12+, an estimated 100 million people, now own a smart speaker. Amazon Alexa and Google Nest remain the most popular.
- 73% of those 12+ have listened to online audio in the last month, up from 68% in 2021.
- 43% of those 35-54 are now monthly podcast listeners, up from 39% in 2021.
Why This Matters
Online audio and podcasting’s reach is wider than ever before, however as people return to pre-pandemic routines such as commuting to work, radio still remains an effective way to reach your audience.
Click to learn more about the state of online audio listening, including the use of audio-based social media platforms and audiobooks.